EMC’s mission is to ‘practice sustainability to the advantage of all’. This mission statement was set more than 26 years ago, when sustainability was not the ‘buzz’.
Multidisciplinary core team supported by Associates located across the globe, with varied skill sets and experience, extensive network with international institutions and partnerships with industry and trade associations, and universities and research institutions.
Whom do we work with?
National and international governments, corporates, UN agencies and intergovernmental organizations, multilateral development banks, private equity, debt funds, think tanks, and philanthropic organizations.
We are a strategic management consulting company established by Dr Prasad Modak in 1996 in Mumbai, India. Over the past 27 years, we have positioned ourselves as a niche player in environmental management consulting across the globe.
We work ‘glocally’ as we blend our global experience with the local context to provide solutions that are contemporary and future-ready.
EMC’s consultancy services are essentially strategic, knowledge-driven and supported through research and training. In all the consulting assignments, EMC’s expertise lies in harmonizing economic, environmental, and social considerations in business development plans and policy frameworks.
Explore EMC's Journey
Report on Just Finance India: Mobilizing investment for a Just Transition to Net Zero in India released
This report written by Prasad Modak (EMC), Nick Robins (LSE) and Suranjali Tandon (NIPFP) in collaboration with British International Investment (BII) is now released.
The report focuses on how the financial system can help deliver a just transition and outlines strategic actions as well as immediate priority next steps.
EMC and AMTOI sign up MoU on Environmental and Social Governance (ESG)
EMC and Association of Multimodal Transport Operators in India (AMTOI) will work together to promote ESG in the members of AMTOI focusing on decarbonization and circular economy.
EMC launches Environmental Management & Compliance Assessment Tool (EMCAT) for MSMEs
To help MSMEs to conduct self-assessment against applicable environmental regulations, EMC developed and launched Environmental Management & Compliance Assessment Tool (EMCAT) in the presence of Dr Prashant Gargava, Member Secretary, Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) and Dr Raghu Babu of GIZ. Contact Prahlad Tewari at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
Environmental & Social Impact Assessment
We firmly believe that Environmental & Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) should not be limited only to obtain regulatory approvals. We use ESIA to add value to the project by identifying alternatives and making the project future ready by ensuring climate resilience and sustainability. In impact assessment, we use advanced geoinformatics and data analytics with state of art modelling tools. Often, we are hired to oversee work carried out by other ESIA consultants to ensure the quality of the report.
Climate Change Advisory
Response to climate change must be mainstreamed into policy, planning and investments. Government, Business and Community need to understand the nexus between climate change and energy, water, agriculture, food and health. We specialize in conducting vulnerability assessment of physical assets, identity adaptation measures and conduct cost-benefit analyses. We also have expertise in carrying out GHG emission inventorization and arrive at appropriate mitigation measures so as to come up with a decarbonization strategy and action plan for Net Zero.
Environmental & Social Due Diligence
We conduct E&S Due Diligence (ESDD) for achieving legal compliance as well as to meet market and investor requirements. We focus on risks not just limited to the facility but address security of natural resources in the neighbourhood and extend ESDDs even to the supply chains. We also look into the opportunities or value adds by referring to Good International Industry Practices. Our ESDD work is not limited to India and we work in several countries with help of our international associates.
We help our clients to mainstream sustainability in their mission to their advantage. We guide in going beyond compliance and help in building stewardship of the organization towards the SDGs while addressing the business goals. We also assist in developing internal and external communication strategies on sustainability. Our expertise lies in uncovering or deciphering “sustainability” to material gains or building a brand or becoming future ready.
Environmental, Social & Governance Management Systems
We visualize environmental, social and governance management systems (ESGMS) as an integrated approach to quality, environment, water, energy, occupational health & safety, and employee welfare. We help establish management systems as per international standards such as IFC PS and build documentation and internal capacity.
Circular Economy aims to redefine growth by decoupling of economic activity from the consumption of our finite resources and by designing waste out of the production and consumption system. We specialize in conduct of life cycle assessments to develop circular product design, provide advice on sustainable procurement and set up strategies in meeting extended producer responsibility. We help the governments and corporates to frame policies and prepare strategic action plans on CE with appropriate CE metrics for monitoring, tracking and reporting.
Selected Books authored by Dr. Prasad Modak
Interested to know about challenges faced and potential solutions for ensuring sustainability of our planet?
- The book introduces conceptual and practice experience on sustainability.
- It presents the critical state of our resources and threats to resource security due to overconsumption, pollution and poor and uneven governance.
- The role of key stakeholders such as the Government, Financing Institutions, Business and Communities and need for them to collaborate at multiple levels – viz. Local, Regional, National and Global level is highlighted and discussed in the book.
- Case studies and learning from practical experiences are also presented.
- The book can serve as a textbook to academia, a reference for policy makers and planners and a resource for conducting continuing education programs for the professionals.
Interested to know what Circular Economy is and potential opportunities and approaches for a circular transition?
- This book provides an overview of CE, covering its evolution, describing the key concepts, programs, policies, and regulations.
- The book illustrates several business opportunities over a hundred hand-picked case studies that encompass numerous sectors, various scales of operations and geographies.
- This book is a key knowledge enhancing resource particularly for the mid- and senior-level managers, policy makers, investors, entrepreneurs, consultants, researchers, professors, and academic students involved in the subject of environmental management and sustainability,
- The book also presents key sector focus on circular economy opportunities for textile, steel, agriculture, and food
- It can be an important resource for every circular economy practitioner and especially to those who aspire to make a career in circular economy.
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is a policy and management tool for planning and decision-making, allowing the identification, prediction and evaluation of the environmental impact of proposed development projects. This book provides an introduction to EIA, with sections on its process, methods and tools. It discusses the implementation of specific environmental measures and the need for their constant monitoring, as well as reviewing the final reporting of an EIA.
How can we help?
I am interested in EMC's services
I am interested in joining the EMC team
I am interested in the EMC Internship Program